I now have Mandriva on my laptop.
It was a long process that started on Monday this week. I got home from work and decided that I wanted to dual-boot my laptop with Ubuntu and Windows. Well, I put my Kubuntu disc into the DVD drive, and rebooted. I told it to install, and it did… sort of. I got impatient with the partitioner and I fubar’d my Windows install. Yeah, it went away… totally.
So I was Windows-less. No big deal, I try to reinstall Kubuntu. Well, I end up with a resolution of 600×800 (ugly) and no wireless. I went “meh” and stated a download of Mandriva. After that was downloaded, I installed that. Wireless wasn’t working, but I did have a 1024×768 resolution. I decided that wasn’t good enough and I quit for the evening.
The next day (Tuesday) I stated again after work. I had Mandriva on the computer, and I wasn’t happy. So, I went to Freespire. Now, I had a brilliant amount of success with wireless (ie, it worked out of the box) but not with the resolution. It was at 600×800. So… I was tired and went to bed after futzing with it for a couple hours.
Wednesday, I started on my project again. I decided to install vanilla Ubuntu. No dice. No wireless, no decent resolution… Frustration abounded. I was talking to Brian and he suggested Fedora. I found a decent Fedora download and got it. I did the install, and had about the same results as before.
Now, we go to Thursday night. I was growing tired of the reinstalls and the non-working wireless and crappy resolution. So, I decided to try Mandriva again. I installed it, and started browsing the forums to figure out how to get wireless and the resolution working. I figured out the resolution and got it set to 1280×768 the way I wanted it. Wireless was a little more of an issue.
I got the drivers I needed and started hacking around the gui for the wireless setup. I got it all set up and lo and behold, WIRELESS WORKS!!!
I’m quite happy with Mandriva. It works on the laptop really well. I haven’t tried suspend/hibernate yet and I’ll report back if/when it works.
KDE was acting up for a little while, but once I turned off the effects (compiz-fusion) it worked like a charm. Make sure you disable the desktop effects, at least initially, until you’re sure it’s going to work.
If you have a laptop that you need to ditch Windows on (or you just want to try something new) give Mandriva a try. I’m quite happy with it.
Happy computing to all!